Saturday, August 18, 2007

EMT Iraq

Left to Right - Back Row - SGT Champagne, HM2 Dunkley, HN Russell, HN Rivers, HM2 Hallenbeck - Front Row - Myself, HM3 Smith (co-coordinator)

The other major project I have been working (aside from the completed FMF qualification) is in the process of wrapping up in the next week or two. Around the beginning of May, HM3 Smith and myself decided to see if teaching a traditional EMT-Basic course out here was feasible. Class started the end of May, and has been going strong ever since. There has definitely been some logistical issues to work through (books, tests, equipment, class space), and fitting 120+ hours of class and clinical time into an operational schedule has been a challenge. While they missed out on the traditional ambulance time they would have gotten in a stateside class, I think they more than made up for it with the intensive trauma patients they cared for while here.
The National Registry of EMTs has acknowledged that this is the 1st EMT class taught in Iraq they are aware of.
5 students will be completing the course (4 Corpsmen and 1 Marine), and they have all shown a dedication to this class to be admired. They did all the requirements for this course on top of their normal duties.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hello from Texas! I just found your blog through a link in desertfliers blog. My husband is an HM3 (IRR now) and can only imagine what y'all are going through over there.

Kudos for putting on an EMT-Basic course. I'm a EMT-P and instructor and know how difficult it can be to teach a class stateside. Can only guess the obstacles you had to overcome to put on the class. If you decide to put on another course let me know and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. I'm sure I can get my service to assist too.

Take care.